In this tutorial, we will discuss ITIL Strategy Management for IT Services Process. Here, You will learn the Definition, Objective, Activities, Roles, and Sub-Process of ITIL Strategy Management (ITIL V3 Process).
What is ITIL Strategy Management for IT Services Process?
As defined in ITIL V3, This is the first process under the ITIL Service Strategy process module.
According to its definition, ITIL Strategy Management for IT services process is responsible for ensuring that services and the way they are managed are aligned with the overall organization strategy.
To achieve this, the process has to follow the rule of SMART (S – Specific; M – Measurable; A – Achievable; R – Relevant; T – Time-bound).
[See Also: 4 P's of Service Strategy]
ITIL Strategy Management for IT Services Objective:
The primary objective of ITIL Strategy Management for IT Services Process is to assess the service provider's offerings, capabilities, rivals, as well as current and potential market standards in order to develop a strategy to serve customers.
Once the strategy has been defined, ITIL Strategy Management process is also responsible for guiding through the implementation of the strategy.
ITIL V3 Strategy Management for IT Services Activities:
According to ITIL v3 best practices, there are certain activities that need to be performed in this ITIL Strategy Management for IT Services process, some of those are:
- Identification of Opportunities: Analyze the internal and external environments, to identify any potential opportunities that may benefit the organization.
- Identification of Constraints: Analyze and identify any activity, that might prevent or delay the achievement of business outcomes.
- Organizational Positioning: The organization needs to define its own position with regard to their competitors and customers. So, this should define the targeted market segment, offered services, and how the competitive advantage will be achieved.
- Planning: This process is also responsible for producing and maintaining IT Management Strategy & Strategic Plans for each offered services. Also, it must ensure that IT Strategy is always aligned with Business Strategy.
- Execution: It is also responsible for assigning appropriate service according to customer needs & Implementation of defined Strategy.
ITIL Strategy Management for IT Services Sub-Processes:
According to ITIL v3, there are three Sub-Processes of ITIL Strategy Management process. The objectives of those sub-processes are listed below, followed by a diagram showing the process flow:
1> Strategic Service Assessment:
To evaluate or assess the present market standing of the service provider. This assessment includes current service offerings, customer needs and competitive offers from market rivals.
2> Service Strategy Definition:
It looks into the result of strategic assessment & helps to define the overall goals a service provider should take. It also helps to develop and to identify offered services for different customer segments.
3> Service Strategy Execution:
This is the final sub-process under the ITIL Strategy Management for IT Services Process. It defines and plans for strategic initiatives, to ensure a successful implementation of the organization strategy.
Important Terminologies & Definitions:
Some important terminologies & definition specific to Strategy Management (ITIL Process) are listed below:
Business Planning Information (BPI):
- It is a means of collecting important input from clients and external service providers for revising the Service Strategy and improving services which are currently offered or to be offered in future.
Service Strategy Plan:
- It deals in converting a new customer need into a solution, through a unique and cost-effective set of connected capabilities and resources.
Strategic Action Plan:
- It plans the steps required to implement the previously defined Service Strategy, by defining specific tasks and responsibilities.
Strategic Service Assessment:
- It is used to gain insight into a service provider's strengths, weaknesses, risks, and opportunities prior to developing a Service Strategy.
ITIL Strategy Management for IT Services Roles:
Service Strategy Manager:
- This role is the Process Owner of ITIL Strategy Management for IT Services Process.
- Service Strategy Manager guides the IT Steering Group in producing and maintaining the service provider's strategy.
- This role is also responsible for stakeholder communication and implementation of service strategy.
IT Steering Group (ISG):
- ISG sets the direction and strategy for IT Services. i.e. - making strategic decisions.
- This group includes members from senior management of the business and IT.
- The IT Steering Group reviews the business and IT strategies in order to make sure that they are properly aligned with the business goals.
- This group also decides on the prioritization of service development projects/programs.
We hope that you have enjoyed the above article describing Strategy Management (ITIL V3). Be with us to explore free training on Leading Technologies and Certifications.
Leave us some comments if you have any question ITIL Strategy Management for IT Services Process, or if you need any further clarification on this topic, we would be very happy to help you.