In this tutorial, we will discuss on ITIL Technical Management function. In this chapter, you will learn the Definition, Objective, Scope, Activities, and Roles of Technical Management - ITIL V3 Process.
What is ITIL Technical Management Function?
Technical Management is one of the main functions of the Service Operation module of ITIL Framework. It acts as a standalone function in an IT organization consists of technical people and teams that provide expert advice and support throughout the IT Service Lifecycle.
ITIL Technical Management function works very closely with every stage of service lifecycle where there is a need for technical explanation. Although it is referred from all the processes, it is very closely related to Incident Management and Problem Management.
ITIL Technical Management Objective:
According to ITIL v3, the primary objective of ITIL Technical Management function is to provide technical expertise and support for the management of the IT infrastructure throughout the service lifecycle.
This ITIL function gets involved in all the technical aspects of designing, testing, operating and improving IT services, also helps to develop the skills required to operate the IT infrastructure.
The Scope of ITIL Technical Management:
In smaller organizations, there may be a single team for the technical management that contains peoples with all the required skills for managing the entire Infrastructure. But in larger organizations, it is very hard to maintain a single team for that.
So in larger organizations members of this function usually spread over multiple departments or teams. Such as employing separate teams for Desktop Support, Web Services, Database support, network support, server support etc.
In many organizations, the technical management function is also responsible for the daily operation of a part of the IT Infrastructure. In practice, many the day-to-day work of IT Operations Management overlaps with the work area of this function and typically carried out by the Technical and Application Management functions.
The below image somewhat describes the scope of the Technical Management (ITIL V3) function:
ITIL Technical Management Staffs:
It is important to remember that the technical management team is made up of the combination of Specialist support staffs, as well as specialist Technical designers and architects.
This is indeed necessary because that quality support requires the inputs from both the design team (feasibility checking) and from staffs who will be supporting the service (quality or usability feedback).
Responsibilities of ITIL Technical Management Function:
To ensure that the organization has adequate skilled resources available to manage technology and to achieve business goals, the Technical Management has to play the following roles:
- Custodian of technical knowledge and expertise used to manage the entire IT Service Lifecycle. In this role, it identifies and develops the technical skills & resources that are required to support and improve the ongoing operation of the IT Infrastructure.
- Act as a Resource Provider, in deploying the actual resources to support the IT Service Management Lifecycle. It also ensures that those resources are well-trained and deployed to design, test, maintain, and improve the technology to deliver and support IT Services.
ITIL Technical Management Roles:
- Technical Analyst role is the primary responsibility holder of this function.
- The Technical Analyst is responsible for providing technical expertise and support for managing of the core IT infrastructure.
- For every knowledge area, there may be one Technical Analyst or a team of analysts depending on the workload.
- This role is an important factor for designing, testing, maintaining, operating and improving IT services.
- Technical Analyst is also responsible for developing the skills required for day-to-day operation of IT infrastructure.
We hope that you have enjoyed the above article explaining the ITIL Technical Management function. Be with us to explore free training on Leading Technologies and Certifications.
Leave us some comments if you have any question or you need any further clarification about Technical Management (ITIL V3), we will be happy to help you.