What is ITIL Framework?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL), widely known as ITIL framework, is one of the most preferred & utilized IT Service Management (ITSM) framework. ITIL provides guidance to an organization and individuals to use IT (Information Technology) as a service to empower business change, transformation & improvement.
The objective is to enhance proficiency and accomplish certain service levels. The purpose is to improve performance and achieve a certain level of IT service efficiency.
The key factor for ITIL is vendor neutrality, Best practices and very easy to understand the framework. ITIL has been owned & managed by AXELOS, a joint venture between UK Cabinet Office and Capita Plc.
ITIL describes processes, procedures, tasks, and checklists which aren't organization-specific. But can be adopted by an organization to establish integration with the organization's strategy, delivering value, and maintaining a minimum level of proficiency.
It enables the organization to determine a baseline from which it can plan, implement, and measure. It is also used to demonstrate compliance and to measure improvement.
The ITIL Service Management Lifecycle
ITIL Service Management Lifecycle consists of 5 different parts or stages:
● ITIL Service Strategy »» This is the stage to align the IT Department with the core business.
● ITIL Service Design »» This section is for demonstrate services provided by IT Department to support the business.
● ITIL Service Transition »» In this section services is handed-over from the Development phase to Operations phase.
● ITIL Service Operation »» This phase ensures that services are delivered within the agreed service level.
● ITIL Continual Service Improvement »» Identify and implement improvements strategies to provide better service in future.
Why Organizations adopt or implement ITIL framework?
Along with growing business opportunities, a large number of challenges regarding data confidentiality & services are also growing. Nowadays IT organizations ought to be able to meet or exceed service expectations by operating efficiently.
Consistent and repeatable processes have become the key terms to enhance the services effectively and efficiently. These consistent and repeatable processes are defined within the ITIL Framework.
By implementing ITIL, an organization can get clear insights on their activities.
Organisational benefits of implementing ITIL framework are:
- Improved return on Investment (ROI) of IT.
- Enhanced capability and productivity of IT employees.
- Improves the customer satisfaction.
- Implements best practices to enhance IT services.
- leads to better asset utilization & management.
- helps to measure the performance of IT services.
- It helps to boost the delivery services.
- Improves the relationship and interaction between the service providers and their customers.
- Boosts the coordination between the delivery of products and services, and also be able to optimize the total cost.
- Enables the business to manage business changes more efficiently.
- Increases quality while reducing risk.
We hope that you have enjoyed the above article about What is ITIL Framework. Be with us to explore free training on Leading Technologies and Certifications.
Leave us some comments if you have any question about ITIL Framework, we would be definitely helping you out.